What if those who have been declared clinically dead were able to come back and tell us about the afterlife? You may be shocked to know that there are many people who can do just that! According to a 1992 Gallup Poll, 5% of the American population has had a Near Death Experience at some time in their lives. A near death experience is a phenomenon reported by people who have been clinically dead and then returned to life.
Just knowing more about near-death experiences can help you tremendously in your grieving process. Here are some facts from the International Association for Neath Death studies: (www.iands.org)
- Beyond the moment of death, many NDErs (those who experienced a NDE) report entering a brilliant light that seems like an all knowing, all loving being. They describe entering that light as “coming home,” with a sense of familiarity, peace, and total comfort.
- For these and other reasons, most people who have had NDEs no longer fear death, or at least, have significantly reduced anxiety about death.
- NDErs sometimes say they encountered deceased loved ones during the experience. They usually report that these reunions were joyous, and that the loved one was in a state of complete health and well-being.
- Some NDErs have reported that during their NDE, they encountered individuals whom they had never met, but who were later identified as deceased family members. Living family members may identify these relatives from their description, or photos may confirm that identification. These kinds of experiences lead many people to believe in immortality.
- NDErs reveal that the moment of death was not painful. Surprisingly they report than in clinical death (cardiac arrest, no breathing and/or heartbeat), they had no physical distress of any kind. Instead, they had a floating, peaceful, euphoric experience.
There are many wonderful books you can also read on near-death experiences. I highly recommend one called Life After Life: The Investigation of a Phenomenon – Survival of Bodily Death by Dr. Raymond Moody. The author investigates over 100 cases of people who have experienced clinical death and were revived. The stories he shares provide evidence that there truly is life beyond the plane of existence that we’re currently on. This excellent resource has been around for over 25 years and is still very popular, which shows you just how important the messages that are contained within its pages. Another book, which is one of my favorites is Dying to Be Me by Anita Moorjani, where Anita talks about her amazing near-death experience and how it changed her life forever.
– from Your Life After Their Death: A Medium’s Guide to Healing After a Loss,
by Karen Noé